Sunday, May 3, 2015

50% off lunch meat + "day old bread" from Jimmy Johns = awesome budget sandwich!

What do you pack when you have a picnic? There's the fruit, the deli meat, the chips, the drinks, dessert maybe? Well here are some secrets I've stumbled on to jazz up your picnic, yet keep you on a budget! 

I stumbled across this first tip by accident a few years back when grocery shopping later than usual. The deli at our local Walmart was about to close and all I needed was some turkey lunch meat for my little guys lunch. The guy at the counter told me that within the last hour before close all pre-sliced meats are 50% off! They can't very well sell those slices in the morning so if there are any pre-sliced meats(and by that I mean their more regular meats that they have cut to pack readily throughout the day to save time cutting per order) snatch em up! 


What you're going to do next on the way home is swing by Jimmy Johns and buy a baguette or two of "day old bread" which will run you anywhere from .15-.50 cents a baguette depending on which one you go to. I can't guarantee that they will always be available, but I've never had a problem getting a few anytime I've needed!


Both of these tips would be great to use for picnics or to surprise someone with a packed lunch upgrade (the bread totally MAKES the sandwich at Jimmy Johns). I  have even thought of doing this for one of my kids birthday party food ideas! I have so far always gone for pizza, but next party I will definitely try making subs from day old bread!

Also, I have used "day old bread" to make garlic bread and it can be used in other variations as well (I saw somewhere where someone made cinnamon toast with it ,yum). So go get your 50% off deli meat, your "day old bread", and sit there eating your grub with a smile on your face knowing all of your sandwich supplies ( to make 3 or 4 baguettes worth of sandwiches) cost the same as a slim 4! 

No comments: