Sunday, October 21, 2012

She did the mash, she did the monster mash

Fall is my favorite time of year. Old family recipes start to resurface, there's a chill in the air, and Halloween puts everyone in a creative spirit! Recently I was approached by a coworker about a doll cake for her daughter. This wasn't just any doll it was a Monster High doll. Now being that Halloween is right around the corner and the festivities are in full swing everywhere I go I felt a creative fire light within me. I decided to take the challenge! I am a novice decorator for now, but a fairly confident baker at this point. I mostly do cupcakes, but for some reason her request inspired me to view this as one giant cupcake of a project....Heres how it went!


I used the Wilton Wonder Mold pan, tie dyed my cake batter to match the doll ( turquoise  for her eye shadow and lips, and purple for her skin). I then dyed my home made buttercream black and violet. I froze the cake overnight, then "dirty iced" it to lock in the crumbs. Then I put it in the refrigerator for an hour. I went over the it with a layer of violet buttercream and ran a metal spatula under hot water and then around my cake to smooth it. I placed it back in the refrigerator for another 20 minutes. I then made the black roses on top with an open star tip by swirling backwards from the center outwards. I made a spider web ( which kind of ended up looking like ribs, but oh well). I then used the open star tip to pipe texture in violet to the dress and, since I ran out of  violet icing by that point, I made another spider web up the back. I kid you not I thought I felt like I was a modeling manager getting my monster ready for some kind of creepy beauty pageant. All the while in the back of my mind all i could here was... "They did the mash, they did the mooonster maaash." 

No comments: