Sunday, October 21, 2012

She did the mash, she did the monster mash

Fall is my favorite time of year. Old family recipes start to resurface, there's a chill in the air, and Halloween puts everyone in a creative spirit! Recently I was approached by a coworker about a doll cake for her daughter. This wasn't just any doll it was a Monster High doll. Now being that Halloween is right around the corner and the festivities are in full swing everywhere I go I felt a creative fire light within me. I decided to take the challenge! I am a novice decorator for now, but a fairly confident baker at this point. I mostly do cupcakes, but for some reason her request inspired me to view this as one giant cupcake of a project....Heres how it went!


I used the Wilton Wonder Mold pan, tie dyed my cake batter to match the doll ( turquoise  for her eye shadow and lips, and purple for her skin). I then dyed my home made buttercream black and violet. I froze the cake overnight, then "dirty iced" it to lock in the crumbs. Then I put it in the refrigerator for an hour. I went over the it with a layer of violet buttercream and ran a metal spatula under hot water and then around my cake to smooth it. I placed it back in the refrigerator for another 20 minutes. I then made the black roses on top with an open star tip by swirling backwards from the center outwards. I made a spider web ( which kind of ended up looking like ribs, but oh well). I then used the open star tip to pipe texture in violet to the dress and, since I ran out of  violet icing by that point, I made another spider web up the back. I kid you not I thought I felt like I was a modeling manager getting my monster ready for some kind of creepy beauty pageant. All the while in the back of my mind all i could here was... "They did the mash, they did the mooonster maaash." 

3 comments:

hmjones said...

Are the spiders on the dress icing also?

2Y's Mama said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
2Y's Mama said...

Sorry for the late response! All of the bugs including the spiders on the dress were purchased at the Dollar Tree in the Halloween section. It was $1 for a bag full of different kinds. Halloween stuff should be out as soon as back to school ends! Which means any day now!