Saturday, March 23, 2013

The Buttercream Rainbow Ruffle Cake!


A friend of mine's sweet little girl turned 6 today! I was lucky enough to get to do the cake..yay! They were having the party at Hands On Ceramics in Columbia,MO, so decided to choose rainbow colors and an art theme for the party. My friend had orignally hoped to do the cake herself and really wanted Sixlets to be included. I had initally thought to do a whole Sixlets covered cake, but after searching for inspiration, decided to try ruffles and Sixlets! So I baked four layers of cake ( red, blue, green, yellow), crumb coated them with a layer of white buttercream and chilled it overnight.

My Supplies...


I watched this great tutorial Easy Ruffle Cake Decorating Tutorial and was ready to try it out! I started decorating by adding a second white coat to the top for the cake to hold the Sixlets on. I quickly placed a rainbow pattern of Sixlets on the top of the cake until I ran out of space. I then used a cup to try piping ruffles around, being as this was my first time ever using a petal tip ( I'm still a newbie in cake decorating).


 It is a lot easier than I thought and looks to be very shabby chic and elegant when its complete! The birthday girl and her mom loved the cake and even sent me an updated pic with the candles on top!


1 comment: