Friday, December 6, 2013

Rejoining the Real World / Baby's Name Frames for nursery tutorial


I'm back, finally! So to catch you all up after the last post I discovered we are expecting our third (our first girl due in January), our internet bit the dust along with our ancient computer, my oldest started kindergarten, my sweet niece turned one, we've redone our boys' room and started the nursery, had a baby shower and so much more and life has been busy busy busy! I am going to try and backtrack to do some tutorials on the things I was able to pin from my iphone! 


I will be doing a detailed post as soon as the nursery is done, but to start I'll show you the baby's name frames I made, which don't require a lot of time or money! We are going for a Tiffany blue, black and white, Parisian theme for her nursery ( I've never been a pink lover myself). At this point I'm having so much fun I told my husband I'm contemplating moving into her room! 


So I had originally purchased black wooden letters in a nice font from Hobby Lobby and they were decently priced being as they were 50% off but still cost about $3.50 a letter. I intended on using those for either over the baby's crib or on the shelf (see picture below). They looked O-K but something was missing?  During the same day shopping spree I had also bought a frame from the Dollar Tree for a picture I wanted to send back with my family after their Thanksgiving visit. After looking at the frame with the picture in it I realized the frame was nicer than I had realized and suddenly the idea popped into my mind to make the baby's name with those and scrapbook paper instead.

 So back to Hobby Lobby I went to return my wooden letters for $17 and some change and off to the Dollar Tree I went to purchase $5 worth of the black frames! I already had some black and white prints of scrapbook paper I purchased for card making from Walmart in their $1 scrapbook section at the end of the scrapbook aisle in a pack of random pages! I also used some black sparkly card stock I already had from the Walmart's scrapbook aisle that came in a sparkly $5 pack. So technically I cheated a bit already having had some of the supplies. I used my Slice craft cutter to cut out 4 inch letters but could have easily printed the letters in the font I liked from the computer on regular computer paper, cut them out, and used them to cut the letters out on regular white computer paper. I used one scrapbook page for all 5 letters. I just removed the picture that came with the frame cut out the little family and used the picture size to help cut out the printed paper pieces. After having the letters cut I realized they didn't pop like I wanted them to. So I put a letter on some of the sparkly black card stock and cut a square around it and used that square to make 4 others. I used crafters adhesive runner (99 cents, Walmart) but tape and regular glue would work just fine. I aligned the pages in front of me then placed them in the frames one by one. I didn't use any ruler or specific measurements for alignment of the letters/papers but you can if you are particular about that kind of thing. It looked so much nicer than the plain black letters and for now I have them on her shelf but I am contemplating hanging them above her crib, when I get to that point....Oh so much to do and so little time!


No comments: