Thursday, December 19, 2013

DIY Chalkboard gift!



I've been looking for ideas for teacher gifts online for a few weeks now. I really like to gift things from the heart and I enjoy making things when I have the time. We recently redid our boy's room using Disney's Great Slate tintable chalkboard paint in the color "Nightvision." I recalled having a little left that I was saving for touch ups (which we haven't needed so far). After searching the internet for tutorials on how to make a chalkboard out of a frame, I went searching through my basement storage and came across a pile of brand new empty frames in various sizes. I decided on the 10 x 13 bronze frame I had. I also remebered that I had a can of white spray paint from Hobby Lobby for "quick projects." Realizing I didn't need to leave the house to buy supplies was enough inspiration to get me started.

I used a small foam paint brush and painted one coat directly over the cleaned, and dried glass using brush strokes ( probably should have dabbed to give a paint roller- like effect, found that out on last coat.) I attempted to speed up the drying process by using my hairdryer on the low,cool setting. If  you can be patient, try, because my impatience lead my chalkboard to have some cracks/streaks that I could have avoided. On a brighter note, it does have a vintage feel to it now! I coated with a second coat, left it to dry overnight, then a third and final coat the next day ( I used the dabbing method for the final coat). 

I repaired the frame by reinforcing the backing with super glue and a hot glue gun to make sure it wasn't going to fall apart. I then spray painted the frame, left that to dry 30 minutes, and then coated it with a second coat. While letting the frame dry for another 45 minutes, I primed the chalkboard. To do this you; a- gently rub a white piece of chalkboard chalk (avoid sidewalk chalk) sideways covering the whole chalkboard in multiple directions, b- rub the chalk in to every nook and crevice with dry paper towel (a rag or felt eraser will work too), c- wipe the board down with a wet paper towel, or rag and let air dry.



I don't have the best penmanship, but was able to search and find a simple saying that is holiday related but universal. I wanted to use a phrase that my kindergartner could read. He is so eager to read any and every sign and is enjoying learning how to read thanks to his wonderful teacher Mrs. Slate! A very helpful note...use Q-tips! I wet the tip of a Q-tip to refine my edges and to create the lines inside of the letters.




I added the frame and viola! Not so bad! Not perfect, but neither am I! One final warning, don't push too hard when writing your phrase or you may nick the paint (unless your has been dry for days). I'm quite happy with the final product, after sitting it on a picture frame display ledge I realized it looks very Pottery Barn-esque ( see picture at top of page)! I really hope his teacher likes it! Tomorrow is the winter party and I'm excited to have my little guy give it to her! Stay warm and be safe......

No comments: