Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Pyramids, Gold, and Whippin it all up!

I was approached Sunday afternoon by a customer at my husbands restaurant about a wedding cake order that fell through for her. She really wanted a pyramid cake in homage to her to-be husbands home country. I was up for the challenge! I had 3 days! Here's what I came up with.....
She wanted a chocolate cake with whipped icing, to feed 50. It was a task getting the top of the pyramid to work, so I borrowed from THE CAKE BOSS and used rice crispie treats to form the top. I used a 10 inch circle, 2-9x9 squares, and one 8x8 square. I iced them and stacked them, then using a serrated knife I carved down each side. I realized depending on how one would cut this cake, it may have only fed 30. So I threw in the two tier! I was going to do sheet cake or cupcakes, but it really isn't much of a difference in time or effort to stack two smaller (an 8 inch and 6 inch) cakes on top of one another and throw some whipped icing on top. I used the stabilized whipping cream icing recipe by Wilton, it was great! Something to note, the first time I made the whipped icing I only had sparkly gold piping gel in a tube so I used that thinking I was eventually going to spray the cake gold anyway, but the icing still came out white before food coloring was applied. To end it I used cake graffiti edible gold spray paint by Duff!

No comments: