Friday, November 9, 2012

Wild 50th Birthday Zebra Cake

Wild at 50!That's the theme of my friend's mom's 50th birthday bash she's throwing this weekend. All decorations are zebra print with hot pink accents. I, of course was in charge of the cake! Yay! This was a pretty fun project! I started by zebra striping the cake batter. I did pink and white for the top tier and classic black and white for the bottom. The cake was vanilla, not chocolate and vanilla like most of the websites I viewed for tutorial purposes. Here's how it went....

The tutorials showed a nice circle on top of circle on top of circle. Ummm my batter would not do anything except slump over...it wouldn't thin out so i had to give it a little shake every now and then. It appears to have worked but its just not center is all.

Next I gathered all of my decorating supplies....


I got the sugar sheets at Michael's, the cake boards and candles at Party City and the cute foil bows/cake toppers at The Dollar Tree! Here's how it looked when I finished...


I felt like it was cute but missing something. So I tried this....


It definitely took the cake from,simple and cute, to party ready!




No comments: